Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Thing #5 Web 2.0/School 2.0 What Does This Mean for the Future of Education?


I remember when I purchased our first computer for my husband and I in 1994. He was returning from a peacekeeping mission in the Sinai Peninsula and I wanted to surprise him with a welcome home gift. We were also newlyweds at the time. To date, that computer is the most expensive one we've ever purchased (they were quite expensive back then). It took a while to get used to, but I loved everything about it! It helped me research for school, it helped me budget, it helped me with time organization and record keeping and a variety of other resources. It made my life a little simpler and who doesn't love that?

Since then, computers and technology has changed so rapidly its almost hard to keep up with the latest tech trends. Today, technology can help me in so many more ways than it did back in 1994. I call my iPhone my lifeline. With my iPhone I'm just a text or call away from my husband and children, my calender keeps up with all of my appointments, I can twitter, I can facebook, and I can access my email from anywhere. I love it!

What does "School 2.0" mean to you?

If technology can help me so much with my personal life, it can definitely help in the classroom. As a future special education teacher, I would love to work with different assistive technologies with my students. I have witnessed an elementary CDC classroom where the iPad was a very useful tool for teaching literacy. The internet is definitely the most useful technology tool in schools today. Information is so accessible on the internet and can be easily found and used by any teacher.

What does it mean for schools of the future?

I believe that School 2.0 is just the beginning of the future of technology in schools. I also believe that the traditional "lecture taught" class with students sitting in desks for the majority of the day will not be so common in the future. A technology driven curriculum does not mean students will be sitting at a computer all day. Technology assists learning for those who may be out of school due to injuries or illness (virtual school). Technology allows more interaction between the curriculum and the student, which engages them and gives a new concept to learning.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment